Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Have Faith For This

I'm reading a book called "Fear Fighters" by Jentezen Franklin right now, which is really a book about putting your Faith into action.
He has so many great points, and I'm only in the first chapter. One thing he points out is what Jesus said to Simon Peter in Luke 22:31-32, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you that he might sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail."
The most profound thing to me in that scripture is that Jesus did not pray the conflict away, didn't pray the trial away - He prayed for Simon Peter's faith to endure and sustain him THROUGH the conflict and trial. James 1:3 says "knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." So why don't we pray for our own faith to sustain us? We need to change how we pray.
We need to come against attacks of the enemy, absolutely, but we need to pray and stir up our faith more so.
Jentezen gives this list of "fear fighters" but I am going to call them "faith igniters"...
1. Jesus is with me, and He has all power!
2. God is at the bottom (when you're at your end, He's there too)
3. I have faith for this!
Romans tells us that we have all been given a measure of faith - and all we need is a mustard seed of faith to move mountains, so what are we waiting for?
Is our faith lying dormant? Are we overcome with the cares of this world or do we have Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego kind of faith that will stare fear in the face and stand strong with faith in our God who is ABLE?!
Dandiel 3:16-18... Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
Whenever I need a reminder of limitless and relentless faith I think of these 3 men. They had ultimate faith. Faith that says, "My God is ABLE, and He will save me! But even if He chooses not to, I WILL still believe, I will NOT bow down!" That is aggressive faith, the kind of faith that pleases God, the kind the enemy can't stand.
I remember Tracey Stewart saying a few years ago that faith doesn't mean that you're not scared. Faith is believing and standing regardless of what you're feeling.
Without faith it is impossible to please God. So stir up your faith, stare your problem in the face and declare, "I have faith for this!" God has given you every tool you need to face every situation you might face.
Faith. Boring? Hardly.

1 comment:

Libby Beckwith said...

absolutely. That is so true. Faith is an adventure when we really figure out what's it's all about, and we were made to walk in it.