Wednesday, June 30, 2010

CNN and the Gospel

This morning I went on cnn.com to check out what's going on in the world, and I came across this: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/29/my-take-why-christians-are-jerks-online/?hpt=C2. At first I was angry - how dare this guy start a blog to tare Christians down. Until I realized that wasn't his goal at all. Jonathan Acuff writes a blog called "Stuff Christians Like", and although I have only read 1 and a half of his blogs, his bold stand and the fact that CNN is letting him preach the Gospel on their site makes me sit up and take notice.
I might not have a lot of time these days, but I plan to follow this guy's blog from time to time.
Also on CNN today I read that in Italy a lady is making a fuss about a crucifix that is up in her son's classroom. The European courts awarded her 5,000 + euros. And although, from what I can gather, they aren't making Italy take down all the crucifix in their schools, this does open a door for other people to sue on the same grounds.
An appeal goes forward today. Read what Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re had to say about it:
"When I think that we are talking about a symbol, the crucifix, an image that cannot but be the emblem of a universally shared humanity, I not only feel disappointed but also sadness and grief," he said.
"The crucifix is the sign of a God that loves man to the point of giving up his life for him. It is a God that teaches us to learn to love, to pay attention to each man ... and to respect the others, even those who belong to a different culture or religion.
"How could someone not share such a symbol?" (read the article at http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/29/italy-fights-for-crucifixes-in-classrooms/?hpt=C1)
This lady that caused a ruckus about a crucifix in her kid's classroom actually opened the door for the Gospel to, again, be preached online and around the world. But I just keep thinking about the sadness of her Christ-less life, and the sad reality of her children growing up in a secular environment.
And I pray that she would be led to the Cross she once persecuted.
After all, think of the Apostle Paul.

No comments: