Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Realism, the Cross, and the Power in Believing


I've been thinking about the label "realist". I think I'd like to consider myself a realist... until I realized I wasn't totally sure what the definition of one was. So I looked it up.
There are a few definitions - of course - but one is this: a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are. I like that. However, Jesus says in Mark 11:22-24 "Have faith in God. I assure you that whoever tells this hill to get up and throw itself in the sea and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. For this reason I tell you: When you pray and ask for something, believe that you have received it, and you will be given whatever you ask for.|
(Sorry this is an interruption to this post, but my host mom is downstairs singing "me gusta los frijoles" which means... I like beans. Then she laughed... :) I wonder what we're having for dinner?)
Alright back to realism. After looking up realism (previously looked up "realist") I realized it meant simply truth and reality. Even down to bringing the true color out in fine art. And what is more true than God Himself? What is more real than our faith in Him and what Jesus did on the cross?
1 Corinthians 1:18 says - For to those who are perishing the message of the cross is foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is God's power.
I believe that all spirit-filled Christians are realist, for we carry the truth and power of the Gospel. The reality of the cross, the power of a mustard seed sized faith, the truth of the freedom found on only in Christ is not a secret to be kept but a lifeline to be thrown to those drowning in the storms of this life, and those throwing their lives away for the pleasures of this world.
One day we will all stand before God. And it won't be foolishness then. It will be the only real thing left in the universe. Only one question will need answering... "What did you do with My Son?" I don't want to only hear, "well done my good and faithful servant". I want to watch as people I have sown seeds of salvation into walk through those golden gates having heard the same words spoken to them - whether I was the one to reap the harvest or not.
Have you heard the saying before, "That person is so heavenly minded he/she is of no earthly good" ? I don't believe that statement could have any possibility of being true whatsoever. Look at Jesus - He was more heavenly minded than anyone to ever walk this earth, and look at all He did for us? What it comes down to is the realization that eternity - those things which will pass from this life and into the next - are things worth investing into. The things that will pass away, the things that cannot go there with us are only temporary.
So being a realist, I think, is to be heavenly minded - minding things of eternal value. To ask for things as though they are. And it is wise to seek God in even the smallest matter - I heard Bill Johnson say recently that our greatest disaster can lie in our greatest assumption.
The message of the cross is foolishness to those perishing, sure, but to us who believe it is the very power of God.
After all, we are not of this world. Our home is heaven.
Spread His truth, walk in His power, shout the reality of the cross from the rooftops.

Other Scriptures: Matthew 6:33, John 14:13-14, 15:7

No comments: