Saturday, June 5, 2010

Deme agua, por favor!

Today I was so thirsty, it's a hot one this weekend! I think it's trying to make up for all the rain!
Anyway, so I was going to pick up water at a tienda (store) and it led me to this thought:
If I were desperate enough for water, how much would I be willing to pay? After all, cost and worth are two different things, right? I got a bottle of water for 5 Q but if I was dying of thirst would I not give everything I had to have a glass of water?
It makes me think of the story of Jesus and the woman at the well. If we are desperate enough, then the cost to have the living water that only God can give will be irrelevant. If I know that His water is eternal and I will never thirst again, if I know that His living water is the answer to my every need, and if I know that He has was I need in the midst of any situation, in particular desperate situations, then wouldn't I be willing to give everything up to get it?
Our salvation is a free gift, but it will cost us everything. Right? How many times have we heard that. But the realization with this thought pattern today was this: what desperate situations are the lost people around me facing? And what's going to quench their thirst? Living water. What's going to make them realize that they are thirsty for it? What if they've never been offered it?
If they're desperate enough, then when offered this gift that will cost them everything, making that decision will be an easy one.
How many of us saw our own need for this living water? They're out there, they're thirsty, and they don't even know it.
They're calling out: Deme agua, por favor! (Give me water, please!)

No comments: